My work is to meet you in your struggles, hardships, or dilemmas to help you process, heal and find solutions through important conversations. Together, we establish a safe, comfortable space in which those conversations can happen. I value the opportunity to facilitate your healing by respecting your experience and what you need, want, and can share.
For nearly 40 years, I’ve been a licensed psychologist, practicing psychotherapist, college professor, and author. I’ve talked to many clients about their lives, thoughts, and experiences – what’s been done to them, what they have done, and how they have survived. We’ve discussed the full range of their feelings, regrets, anxieties, frustrations, and fears, as well as their hopes, successes, and aspirations. We have looked for ways to resolve their personal troubles.
My clients and I work together to find solutions and strategies to resolve problems in ways that bring them closer to your goals and aspirations. Self-knowledge and understanding can help – sometimes when you know enough about the problem and yourself, the path forward is obvious. Additionally, specific instructions derived from tested strategies can be useful, too. I bring my years of experience, both personal and professional, as well as devotion to training in various methods, to each and every person.
I practice psychotherapy as our collaboration to clarify goals, discovering what you need from psychotherapy, and developing the steps to achieve those goals. I’ve built my practice around psychological science honed by decades of experience. I support approaches known as evidence-based treatments because these approaches are backed by empirical evidence and real-world results. These interventions include cognitive-behavioral therapy and other proven approaches.
Because many life events aren’t easily classified and have not been thoroughly researched, I also rely on my professional knowledge and clinical experience. Psychotherapy is sustaining a cooperative, trusting, and honest relationship.
Among the concerns and issues I help with are:
- Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions
- Communication Problems
- Grief, Loss, & Bereavement
- Health / Illness / Medical Issues
- Infidelity / Affair Recovery
- Obsessions & Compulsions (OCD)
- Post Traumatic Stress / Trauma
- Relationships & Marriage
- Toxic parents
Treatment protocols are offered for specific anxiety disorders:
- Anxiety reduction via progressive relaxation, cognitive restructuring, insight and action
- Obsessive-compulsive behavioral intervention with exposure and response inhibition, plus cognitive strategies
- Phobia treatment with customized desensitization hierarchies (Imaginal and in vivo), cognitive strategies
- Problem solving, solution focused therapy
- Improving communication, empathy and support
- At the request of both parties, specific exercises to improve specific conditions may be recommended